10 October 2012

Fall weather & Fall food

The long Columbus Day weekend paired with the cool and rainy fall weather inspired me to cook up some fall food. 

First I was inspired to make some butternut squash soup. I think this is the first soup I've made from scratch (unless you count chili as soup?). Due to terrible planning I had to stick the soup in the fridge after cooking, before blending and eating, and return to it the next day. I followed a recipe from the Whole Foods Recipe's App. It turned out fine, but not as thick or creamy as I've had before. I ended up adding pumpkin pie spice to living it up. I'm thinking restaurant versions use thick cream or something; this version was celery, onion, carrots, squash, and low sodium chicken broth.


I had a zucchini in my refrigerator that needed used so I decided to make some bread. After first going to the internet I remembered the old time source for recipes... cook books! I figured my family reunion cook book would have a recipe and it did. I followed it pretty closely, but my bread came out really crumbly and not as moist as most versions I've had. Any thoughts on what I did wrong? It is still tasty and will be consumed.


4 comments:

  1. you need my zucchihi bread recipe. i will send it to you soon. MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that's how I was expecting it to turn out. Sadly it wasn't near as good.

      Delete
  2. Oddly, I just made pumpkin bread, with my normal recipe and it too turned out way more crumbly and not as moist as normal. Good... but not awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting... maybe something was in the air. Its such a let down when you are expecting awesomeness and you just get good.

      Delete

Comments are awesome!