25 April 2009

Run for the Gorillas

While heading to work about two weeks ago I was handed a banana and some papers in the tunnel between the 6 train and the shuttle to Times Square. I just wanted the banana but read the literature only to learn that there would be a "Run for the Gorillas" in the Bronx Zoo. As soon as I got to work I pulled up the website and signed up (sorry boss). I also convinced Adrian to sign up for this 5k through the Bronx Zoo, with all proceeds going towards help for Gorilla's habitats and sustainability of the Gorilla population.

Yesterday was the day. We got to the zoo around 8:30 am to see that people came out in hoards to run. There were several people dressed up as gorillas, one banana, and some other assorted costumes. The day was beautiful perfect for a morning run as it eventually warmed up to 85 degrees. After a local middle school student flubbed the national anthem (we helped her out), and Tiki Barber gave us words of encouragement, we were off into the zoo.
The beginning of the run was along some service roads and parking lots, but not after too long we were in the zoo. A lot of the animals weren't out and about (or maybe I was running to fast, haha) but we did see a few along the run... flamingos, monkeys, bison. I finished the event still feeling pretty good, but it was not a timed event so I'm not sure how long it took us.
At the finish line we received high fives from Gorillas, water, fruit, muffins, and goody bags that included a "go Diego go" toy, shower gel, a notebook, and some literature. As we headed up to the after race activity area we were greeted by the sea lions jumping and diving and pulling up to the edge of the pool and teasing us. They were fantastic. I didn't have my camera until after the run so these pictures are of the sea lions later in the day when they were much more calm and just swimming around.

When we first saw the sea lions this little one below was still sunning on a rock. His mom went over and nudged him to wake up. After being a little groggy he wondered down to the waters edge and plopped in... and just floated. We were worried for a minute as he just floated in the water, but eventually he started moving a little and as you can see when we came back later in the day he was swimming around like the others.


Here are the flamingos we saw at about 2.5 miles.

For signing up for the run we got free entry back into the zoo and tickets to the Congo exhibit. Tickets normally cost $3 to go in to this area and I highly recommend anyone who goes to the Bronx Zoo to pay the extra $3 because the gorillas were amazing.
Below is one of the little guy gorillas.

I think the Silver back liked me. When we first went over to this window he was hiding behind a tree. Then he came out and started walking towards us, took a break by a tree to have a snack, before settling right up against the window.









The giraffe house had a distinct ahem giraffe smell, but it was totally worth ignoring because the giraffe was so close. A group of lucky people were feeding the giraffe carrots and kale. The giraffe's legs were taller than me, you don't realize how awesome of an animal they are until you get so close.



I was so hypnotized by the giraffe that I didn't realize that Tiki Barber was right in front of me taking pictures of the kids feeding the giraffe. He must of been hosting some sort of make a wish type of thing. So when I did realize that is who it was I snagged a picture of him from the side.




The Africa trail included the lions, zebra, antelope, peacocks. This Zebra looked very sad to be on the other side of the fence.


Back to front: Cub, Momma, Daddy

Gorgeous.

Baboons. We watched the baboons from the eating area where we had lunch. Apparently one snagged a turtle for lunch right in front of us.

The Polar bear put on a show for us. I was to mesmerized and didn't get it on film. After walking around on land he turned his back to us shook his behind and dived into the water.



Tigre

The two sweaty runners enjoying a day at the zoo... I think we are blocking the Chinese Deer.

2 comments:

  1. Your run sounds fantastic, getting high fives from "Gorillas" at the finish would be great, and your paparazzi skills are getting much better. I can totally tell that is Tiki in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the baby sea lions. So cute! Looks like a fun day. I'm sure the gorillas are very appreciative ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome!