22 May 2008

Fleet Week and a walk on the west side

Fleet Week- "Thousands of Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen from U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard ships will be in town for Fleet Week New York.
Hosted nearly every year since 1984, Fleet Week New York is the City's celebration of the sea services. This annual event also provides an opportunity for the citizens of New York City and the surrounding Tri-State area to meet Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen, as well as witness first hand the latest capabilities of today's Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Team.
Fleet Week includes dozens of military demonstrations and displays throughout the week, as well as public visitation of many of the participating ships."
The episode of Sex in the City during fleet week keeps coming to mind. I had my first sight of sailors today when I went with a group of coworkers to have "KP" (kosher pizza) for lunch. Then when I left work there were sailors and marines all around times square. I decided to walk over to the west side to see a ship and I saw the below ship-
and some more sailors...
Then I decided to keep walking up the westside. For awhile I was walking through some construction areas, but then I came out at a beautifully recently redone boardwalk along the Hudson.


And then I saw this monstrosity and thought to myself, "why didn't they clean that up" and then I saw the plaque, which said "New York Central Railroad 69th St. Transfer Bridge has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 2003" So yeah... that is a national landmark dumped in the Hudson River.


2 comments:

  1. But you didn't meet any sailors ala Sex and the City?

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome!