23 November 2008

Yarn shopping done right

Where does a girl go to buy yarn in Manhattan? There are no Walmarts nor JoAnns and the five colors of cheap yarn my local hardware store carries just doesn't cut it. Instead I headed downtown to Lion Brand Yarn's only retail outlet in the world. The Yarn Studio just opened last week. The studio is small, but well stocked with many types and colors of yarn. Also inside were free yarn samples, knitting and crocheting accessories, free patterns, and patterns for sale. The studio also leads classes and had casual knitters sitting around a table when I was there. I'm knitting a hat from the yarn I bought today to keep my head warm this winter.



5 comments:

  1. That is positively breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy for you, but EEEEK! Lion Brand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started knitting recently cause it's cold here and we need scarves. Do you have any easy/fun patterns? I'm thinking since I have mastered the scarf, I should try a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.disdressed.blogspot.com
    this blog made a list of New York craft resources, might be helpful sometime, it is a few posts down, anyway hope you had fun in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie- The last few patterns I have used have been free ones from the lionbrand website. They have them labeled for difficulty. I'll try to post some other sources as well.

    Kristen- thanks for the tip. I'd heard of some of the fabric and trimming stores but the first time I had seen the yarn stores and some of the others.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome!